As I stated in my last post, planting common milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) is the biggest mistake I've made in years!
I mentioned in that post that if cut down, they readily re sprout from the roots. Today I found a sprout a good 15" from any planting I made. So it runs!
I ran too. To get the loppers.
Down they came. So did the other stand. Then I hauled their gooey, latex-dripping carcasses over to the township yard waste site.
Okay. First strike. I don't know if I should dig up the roots or try and kill them with herbicide.
Either way, it's total war. I'll have to paint sprouts with full-strength herbicide for who knows how long.
The single monarch that floats around the ring bed seems unconcerned. It's never visited the common, preferring to spend its day on the 'ice ballet' or incarnata milkweeds. It also likes the zins that are beginning to bloom, so worry not about the monarchs. There's still plenty of larvae lunch around here.
P.S. I've removed the link for "Free Milkweed Seeds" from the sidebar. 'Nuff said.
P.P.S. This very afternoon I watched the monarch find a friend, dance, and is right now laying eggs on both the ice ballet and incarnata milkweeds. :-D