For the past couple of days I've spent an over amount of time inside to escape the oppressive heat and humidity. So when I forayed out yesterday in the early a.m. I found a serious hole just a few feet from the crab bed. Good grief. Something stole in under the radar and went to town. There was a lot of torn grass strewn about. It's way bigger than any chipmunk hole I've encountered before, yet with the roots it had to dig around I can't see how anything much larger could squeeze in there.
So I set a trap, covered it with an overturned bin, and will await results.
In other news, we got another .6" of rain on Friday!! Twice the rain pounded down fast and hard. And, being the obsessive type (I-just-gotta-know) that I am, I actually spent part of the 2nd downpour up on the sunroom roof. (I truly truly don't recommend this action to anyone, especially during a storm!) Anyway, I discovered one of the reasons the previous deluge soaked the room below. That storm had blown a bird nest into the 2nd floor bedroom gutter, causing it to overflow and waterfall right onto the roof of the sunroom. Water washed uphill under the window ledges (a mere 2" above the sunroom roof) and found leaks into the room below. At least now I know why things happened.
There have always been drafts in the sunroom because it was never properly sealed to the side of the house. But at long as the gutter didn't overflow, most of those seams never got wet enough to leak. Now with the gutter unclogged the sunroom is dry again. But I'm still going to have to do some serious work on the sunroom roof.
Meanwhile, back to more heat and humidity. At least now I won't have to hold back on the rain-dancing. ;-D