Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Five days in May....

... and counting!

Back in the mid/late '80s, I was writing up a storm and selling as a freelancer.  It took me a while to get that first sale and I was thrilled beyond belief.

I was living on my savings at that point, so every $ counted.  That first piece I sold was called "When the Zap loses its Zip", a humorous/sad tale of woe recounting when my microwave oven died.

It sold to the Cleveland Plain Dealer newpaper for its Sunday supplement magazine.  The $ from the sale almost paid for the repairs on the microwave!  (Back when there were more repair shops and folks used them!) LOL

So its with a sad and heavy heart I have to tell you that on May 1st, this year my current microwave died.  Sheesh.  And it was only 14 years old.  *sob*  So young, so young.

The whole tale is recounted on the "Household Adventures" sidebar blog.  Check it out.

Meanwhile, without a microwave, I'm eating a lot of .... this:

Thank goodness for the Forman grill and the 'fridge. I try not to fire up the stove unless I'm making a vat of something.

What is REALLY a pain these days is hot beverages and my morning oatmeal.  *sigh*

How about you?  Could YOU live without a microwave (or some other kitchen convenience)?  :-/

11 comments:

  1. I haven't had one for over 4 years and don't miss it at all. A bowl over a pot of boiling water warms up whatever leftovers are in the fridge - or we eat them cold ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my cooking is geared to large batches of anything, then portioned out and frozen - to be microwaved when needed. It's the best way for me - few daily dishes to wash.

      Delete
  2. I like reviving a donut or heating water for instant coffee. In the most part I probably could move on without it. I use the Forman grille a lot and we bought a very good frying type pan that is non stick and quite useful for everything. Can be used like a wok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those rings or little warmers for coffee will not give me the near boiling heat I enjoy in a beverage. I also hate washing pans.... Poor me.

      Delete
    2. Kris, you're right about needing REALLY hot water to make drinks but could you not use an electric kettle, or a kettle/pot on a gas ring?

      I remember the first time I visited the States and the difficulty I had getting water hot enough to make tea . . . sigh!!

      Delete
  3. I only use the microwave to "soften" butter .....and only if I forget to put the butter dish out before a meal. I've never cooked in one.....though I did use it to reheat stuff years ago with Hubby #1. I adore Hubby #2, so I always cook from scratch for him....and leftovers all get heated in a little ceramic wok---actually works faster than the microwave. I love it.
    I guess mine is more of a dust collector. It's 8 years old, but probably hasn't run for more than 2 hours total time in all those years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, let me send you my mailing address.... wouldn't have to have you do any dusting.... *heh*

      Delete
  4. I only use the microwave for heating milk for coffee, and very occasionally defrosting something that I forgot to take out of the freezer six hours earlier, so yes, I could easily live without it.

    Now, try and take my coffee machine away and there'll be Trouble with a Capital T!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could quite easily. I can cook an entire meal for two in my large electric skillet and do quite often. Not much energy or heat involved with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But take away your skillet?

      Delete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate your notes, comments and questions and will try to reply to each one! :-)